------------------------------------------------------
Upon traveling to India, I have discovered many things. First and foremost, India is simply better than the United States. I must admit, I didn't really ever understand what was so great about India, why everyone wanted to go there, etc. I think this is the first trip of mine where I've realized that, more than anything, it's the people there that make it what it is. How is it possible that the same people who just yelled at 3 different taxi drivers about their incapabilities can, two minutes later, show some of the most hospitable behavior that has ever been exhibited across the world? And this, this is what really makes India what it is. The hospitality of the people there. So, you want to survive in India long enough to experience this hospitality I speak of? Just follow these rules.
1. Crossing the Street
This is probably where you are most likely to get killed. Make sure when you are crossing the street that you do not stop moving, no matter the circumstances. Even if there is an auto-rickshaw (auto) approaching you at high speed, they will (most likely) turn away at the last section, so keep moving. Otherwise, you are sure to get run over by a motorbike/car/auto/cow.
2. Honking
If you are planning to drive in India--I don't recommend it--it is important to know the rules of honking. Here are situations in which you can honk:
- Someone cuts you off
- Someone walks directly in front of you
- There is a cow in the middle of the road
- The person in front of you is not moving
- The person in front of you did not move for at least .0005 milliseconds
- There is a red light
- You see somebody you know
- You see a store you wish to stop at, but can't
- You feel like it
3. Rules of Eating
There are very specific rules to eating in people's homes in India. If you are visiting somebody, you must, and I mean must, stay for at least one meal in their home. They will cook an elaborate meal for you, and then say that they were just making it anyways. You must at least try every dish that is prepared, unless you are allergic, in which case they will shake their head sadly at you in a very Indian way. If you are willing to try eating with your hands, then always use your right hand. Never ever touch food with your left hand. When you are finished eating, they will always try to offer you more food, and you must accept more until they cease to bring out more dishes, in which case you are in the clear. You must then sit with them and drink coffee and chat until it has turned an unearthly hour, at which point they will offer their home for you to sleep in. Unless the person is a relative, you must refuse, and call a taxi to their home to take you back to wherever you happen to be staying.
4. Dress Code
You may have seen in Bollywood movies the wonder of scantily clad women being sniffed by Sharukh Khan. If you have not, I strongly recommend seeing at least one Bollywood movie before traveling. However, nobody in India actually dresses like this. Under no circumstances should you bare any part of your body other than your face, arms, and occasionally the bottom half of your leg. NEVER attempt to leave the house in a spaghetti strap tanktop, or low cut top. Modesty is extremely valued in India, and although nobody will say anything, they will all be calling you names behind your back.
5. Leaving
I can almost guarantee that you will not want to leave at the end of your trip. This is a common feeling, and I can also almost guarantee that when you get home, you will be exhausted, and relieved to see your own home again. But, the trip will leave you with extremely fond memories of India, and you will gain a new sense of thankfulness, loyalty, and gratitude towards the people you met there.