Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The People are Rotting, Not the Fruit

Once again, I am drawing inspiration from other people rather than trudge down to the depths of my own brain, which has been denying me ideas far too often.

Upon reading "she who goes by her last name"'s article, I was inspired to write a lengthy and opinionated comment. I will post it here for the benefits of you all:

I don't agree with the fact that boys do worse or better at school than girls. I understand perfectly physical limitations of gender, but I think that stays limited to athletics. My honest belief is that people need to stop finding reasons for these problems, and fix them instead.

Example: stop wondering what is wrong with our education and why China and India are pwning right now, and just fix the stupid education system. Example: stop complaining about outsourcing to other countries and get off your lazy arse and do the work yourself.

My dad told me about a New York Times edition in which the front page featured two articles. The first was about how in a few years the fruit is going to start rotting on the trees because illegal immigrants won't be allowed to be hired to pick the fruit. The second article was about a plea for funding because teenagers didn't have enough jobs open to them.

My point has been proved.

(end comment)

I also recently saw, at Folklife, a man playing the saxophone with a sign that said "Homeless, but not sitting on my arse shaking a cup." Although I appreciate that this man was doing something about his situation, the honest question comes to mind whether there are really not enough jobs to cover people like this.

I can't really believe that there are so many illegal immigrants working in America right now, and we still have a homeless person around every street corner with a sign. I guess I can understand disabled people, because their physical limitations don't allow them to get a job. However, there are a lot of people I see that would have no issues getting a job as a busboy, or a housecleaner, or something of the sort. There exists physical labor that you will get paid for, but people are so lazy nowadays that they are refusing to do it.

I suppose part of me is scared that there actually aren't enough jobs in America and I'm completely wrong. Another part of me feels extremely hypocritical, because regardless of where I end up going to college, and what I end up doing, I would still be reluctant to get a job as a busboy (girl). But that's not to say that I would sit on a street corner holding out my hat, waiting for people to take pity on me and feed me out of their own wallets. When it came down to it, I would take the job, however hard I would have to work.

The honesty of the situation is that there are jobs in America, but not a lot that people want to take. And a lot of jobs have been outsourced, to countries in which they are taught that they don't have a choice but to take what they can get, and that nothing is beneath them. We have a lot of underlying opinions about things in America, making us amazingly arrogant, but I suppose we all already knew that.