Friday, May 02, 2008

Two Angry Women

I had a debate with my mother last night. For those of you who know my mother, she is a very sweet individual, and easily appreciates everything she sees, even if upon seeing it I cringe in ways I have not done since the song "It's Hard Out There for a Pimp" won an Academy Award. My mother especially likes to appreciate things that are amazingly cliche. This is what last night's debate falls under the category of. Not the debate itself, but the subject matter.

It started when my mom was showing me and my dad a slideshow of profound quotes. About 8 quotes into the slideshow, I made a comment, quite casually, about how the quotes would never have been remembered if the people who said them had not already been famous.

She immediately launched into a tirade about how the people who said these quotes had more experience and had acheived more than the rest of us, therefore they could think up of these profound quotes. I obviously begged to differ, as it was my opinion that many of these quotes were not profound at all, and I or she, or anyone for that matter, could come up with such things, but nobody would remember them since we are not famous.

Now, here is the best part. My mom spent the rest of the night arguing with me. This is okay. What is not okay is that she spent the whole night arguing my point. She debated with me to prove my own opinion. I don't know if this has ever happened to any of you, but it is extremely hard to argue with somebody who keeps defending your statements, because you end up having nothing to say.

She then ended the debate saying that I have become far too cynical, and I should stop hanging around Jake so much. She was also under the impression that I was very angry, perhaps because I was arguing back rather than sit there and nod at everything she said. Usually, I am too tired or busy to argue back with my parents, so I just take everything they give me, because usually they shut up faster that way.

It was most certainly an enlightening debate, not on why the quotes were profound, but rather why I should continue to avoid arguing with my parents. I think I will continue to keep up the facade of a personality that they think I have.

Also, a note about the previous post: I know I said I was going to post the final draft of the poem next, but upon editing it, I didn't change anything major, so I decided to write this lovely pointlessness for you instead.