The effects of my attempts to fulfill my homework for English, which consisted of: write a rough draft for a love poem that tells a story, and never mentions outright the concept of love itself. A little bit of a longer poem, compared to what I usually write. After we do peer editing, I'll give you a final version of it:
The Twelve Days of Romance
The first day I saw you it was unexpectedly dark
So maybe I didn’t really see you at all
It was raining down pollution and the raindrops
Didn’t only taste bitter, they were my bitterness
The second day I saw you it was far too early
And my eyes had not adjusted to the light
The sun was blinding and I saw spots behind my eyes
Which were closed, so still I didn’t see you
The third day I saw you it was for the first time
My eyes were open, I could see,
And I walked right by, not sparing a glance
Because really you just blended into the crowd
The fourth day I saw you I knew I had seen you before
And maybe I had even been looking for you
We did an awkward dance around the topic of
Conversation, then we turned around and decidedly left
The fifth day I saw you I knew it was not
A coincidental meeting that we could pretend to
Avoid, so I walked up to you and I said
“Goodbye” and didn’t give you a chance to say hello
The sixth day I saw you I did a double take
I thought my message had been perfectly clear
But then you looked in the other direction
And I walked the other way
The seventh day I saw you we knew it was fate
So we talked and you got me a cup of
Lukewarm coffee and I knew that it had
Truly and really begun
The eighth day I saw you I shook my head
Despairing at the preplanned qualities of
My life that seemed to fall into place
Just as I had wanted it not to
The ninth day I saw you we went out to lunch
I had a salad, with honey but no dressing
You had a sandwich, which looked a little dry
We both had a conversation, it cost $12.40
The tenth day I saw you we got coffee again
This time it was quite warm, and my insides
Were feeling a little jumpy that day
But ignoring them I continued on my way
The eleventh day I saw you, I began to wonder
Why neither of us had yet made a move
We amiably chatted about the effects of
A mother’s diet on the sex of a newborn baby
The twelfth day I saw you we shook hands
And I detected the glint of something on
The fourth finger of your left hand
I don’t recall ever seeing you again