Wednesday, February 04, 2009

I was asked by somebody to write a poem for their website about animal rights. I put it off for as long as possible, because it's not a very poetry-inspiring topic, if you know what I mean. But anyways, eventually I felt bad enough that I just gave up and wrote it. It's not one of my favorites, but I guess it isn't as bad as it could be.

White horse runs before his legs are broken
And he falls, with crooked hooves that are put into
Your gummy bears for your pleasure, sir
Please bite the heads off slowly so that you can
Get your full satisfaction, as white horse falls.

You are savage, animalistic, unnatural but only
Nature knows that you were not meant for this
For tear-free products in your eyes, but they don’t work
Because the tears are there, you can feel them.

Please enjoy your filet mignon, as long as you can
Pronounce the name that to me still means dead,
Not elegance, rich, expensive, or any of those other
Descriptions, code words, disguisers that only tell
You that you are dead meat.

As a side note, the first stanza or whatever refers to how some types of gelatin are made from hooves of various animals (doesn't that make you feel great?). Obviously it's kind of a one-sided, angry poem, but whatever, I'm vegetarian, get over it. Basically, I posted it here half because I post almost everything I write here (except for fanfiction), and half because when I showed it to my mom, she said "What?". Which was extremely discouraging as a writer, and is much of the reason why I don't show her most of the stuff I write, along with the fact that most of things I write involve copious amounts of swearing, references to sexuality, and references to suicide, which would freak her out. But it kind of made me mad that she couldn't understand the fact that it was a POEM, not like, prose or something that would be insanely clear and easy to understand. It's abstract, okay? It's not supposed to be like, "Oh, I want to get this message across and so here it is." No, that's why we write poetry, because we express ourselves in ways that don't have to be understood. Okay, I'm done ranting now.