Sunday, June 07, 2009

A dream is a wish your heart makes....

So remember that poem I wrote about animal rights or whatever a while ago? Remember how I was asked to write it for a website? Yeah, so I was asked to write another poem for this website. The prompt was "Dreams". Could you please be a little more vague? Anyways, I'm definitely learning something from this experience, which is that it is really difficult to write from prompts. Especially broad prompts. Anyways, since the topic was dreams, I decided to play around with some surrealism in my poem, since I've never really tried that before. Here is the result:

Dreams are for the dreamers
It is possible that in a day
Or in a week
There will be a dreamer in me

The cityscape is melting
Into a round puddle of light
That reflects off its surface
The horizons of three worlds

It is possible
That in a day
Or in a year or a few years
There will be a dreamer in you

Diamond rise, diamond fall
In a kingdom where diamonds rule
Queens of hearts are meaningless
They sit in the corners of courts
With scepters crafted of fool’s gold

It is possible that in a day
Or in a hour
Or in this very moment
There will be a dreamer in me

I'm not sure how much I liked this poem, but my mother seemed to like it a lot. I think the parts I like are the repetitive "chorus", if you will, and the verse about diamonds/cards. Let me know what you think...