Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Is there a shortage of cloth in the world?

The other day, I was flipping through a magazine, and of course, in a magazine, there are ads. So I in my subconscious mind was staring blankly at the page, which happened to be a clothing ad. I use the term clothing loosely, what the model was wearing is more accurately described as…nothing. This kind of jerked me out of my subconscious reading, and pulled me to turn to the front page of the magazine, just to make sure I was reading the right one. I don’t usually go for the teen zines and things like that. I am one of those people who actually try and read pieces that have some sense other than “How to make this guy fall for you”, and such. So when I saw this ad, I automatically thought, wait, is this some “teen zine”? But no, it actually turned out to be TIME magazine. And I thought, what is an ad like this doing in a magazine I thought just may be sensible? Then it really sank in, how corrupt our world is, that in a magazine that is supposed to be informing us about important news around the world, there is an advertisement for something I would doubt if any of us need. A question to all, we brought clothing into our world to keep us warm and to keep us decent, but aren’t we just going backwards? The skimpy things I see on mannequins in stores now are not classified as clothing. They are classified as small pieces of cloth that have been draped onto mannequins in different ways and colors. Is there a shortage of cloth in the world? I certainly haven’t heard about it. And another thing while I am on this track. Do these models have serious eating disorders? The anorexic people I see in ads are definitely not normal. If you’re telling me that is normal, then 99.9% of the population of the world is…fat. There is no amount of money you could pay me to become like that. I’d like to keep food in my day, thank you very much. Here I quote Bill Watterson, author of Calvin and Hobbes, reading of which is one of my favorite pastimes.
“Mom, can I have plastic surgery?”
“Honey, those supermodels need the fat sucked out of their brains, not their butts.”
Mr. Watterson, we can all learn a lot from you, Calvin and Hobbes is not just a comic, it is a message to us all. We just have to look for it.